04 January 2009

cómete el mundo

I leave for my new home in Western Honduras on Tuesday. San Marcos de Ocotepeque, a destination that will never be listed in any guidebooks and is difficult to find on maps considering there are numerous cities christened San Marcos throughout Honduras alone.

I have malaria pills. I have been vaccinated for typhoid and tetanus. I have a new sleeping bag and a backpack full of old clothes.

Western Honduras offers El Cerro de las Minas, the highest mountain in Honduras, and Santa Bárbara, the second tallest. National parks and lakes, bordering Guatemala and El Salvador. An impressive complex of Mayan ruins at Copán and on the Caribbean shores, the Mesoamerican Barrier Reef, the second-longest coral reef in the world.

I am excited. I am learning español.

I am eating the world.

3 comments:

Kent Filppu said...

Welcome to Honduras. You'll find a fantastic coutry. Enjoy it but be careful to.

shawna x. said...

wow!! good luck. im jealous of your travels/experience

Ashly Stewart said...

Be safe! Don't die! Stay in touch! I will miss you.