27 July 2009

seeker seal

Who's it here?

I know we're playing hide-and-seek, but you've reversed the rules. Cheeky. You find me first and then wait patiently for me to find you.

I can feel your obsidian eyes on me. I scan the surface from port to starboard while bobbing on glassy swells in a pea-green, pea pod kayak.

A liquid screen rolls and then falls and our eyes lock. You give me mere seconds before you slip back under, away.

The sea shivers beneath me. I swivel my head, searching the kelp blooms. You spot me. I see you.

Are you as curious about me as I am about you? I hope so. But you're gone before I can ask.

I paddle one, three, five brief strokes towards your last hiding place. Where are you now? To my right? My left? Behind me. I spin a quick circle leaving a halo wake.

You're quicker. Closer, farther away. Left, right. Could you really be that quick? Or is this a trick?

One bullet-shaped, bald head pops up for a peak on my left. Another whiskered muzzle crests on my right. I knew you had a friend along.

Let's just play a little longer.

1 comment: