28 February 2008

no such thing as PB & J

You'd be surprised at how many Italians have never tried peanut butter or burro d'arachide. It is not common in Italian cuisine and is definitely not found in every cupboard like it is in America. I have met people ranging from 16 to 46 who have never even tried it.

You can find it in some grocery stores where it costs upwards of 4€ for a small container of some off-brand that doesn't even exist in the states. Rest assured, I already initiated my roommates.


Their staple is absolutely Nutella, which you can find on toast and pizza and in paninis or gelato.

Don't worry, I've spread the word on peanut butter related combination like ants on a log or peanut butter and banana sandwiches.

But maybe the tides are changing because I did see burro d'arachide gelato in Salò's most popuar gelateria the other day.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

We carried peanut butter to Peru for your sister....hopefully I will not have to do than for you! Does the brand in Italy taste as good a JIF?